11 December 2007

My iTunes

Recently I unearthed my iPod, hiding under a stack of books in my study. I say my iPod but it was actually a second-hand gift from a friend when they upgraded to one of those new video iPod things, and given its age and the general reliability of Apple products it is a miracle it is still working with no battery replacement needed. I also discovered that much of the music I originally placed upon it, is still there. In a handful of cases this could be considered embarassing, in others simply funny.

My taste in music has changed little over the last few years, it is still as eclectic as ever, the only types of music I find it hard to listen to as a general genre rather than as specific songs are heavy classical opera, though I adore instrumental classical, and hip-hop or rap type music, with a few exceptions. I do not know what it is about opera, but there is something about the voices of opera singers that sends a shiver down my spine, and not in a good way. Light opera such as Gilbert and Sullivan is a different matter, and I enjoy such music greatly, but serious, heavy, wobbly-voiced opera just repels me completely.

In fact I am not a huge fan of singing in general, while I do enjoy songs I would usually much prefer to listen to a complex melody produced by instruments working in harmony or disharmony. Whether it is produced by an orchestra or a single person and a synthesizer is unimportant, it is the complexity that intrigues me.

1 comment:

AngelConradie said...

can't live without music myself...