02 December 2007

Restless Night

Last night was not a good night. Slave's housemates had some friends round, and evidently decided to experiment with certain chemical substances I would prefer to avoid, except potentially in a clinical setting. I have an absolute fascination with hallucinations, and particularly a condition referred to as synaesthesia, but if I am going to experiment with substances that can cause either I am going to be extremely careful about it.

This led to one of them suffering what is known in common parlance as 'a bad trip' and spending the night on the stairs outside the room I am sleeping in alternately ranting, raving, and trying to break down the door. Quite evidently he was utterly off his head, and completely ignoring the people trying to talk him down.

Personally I just attempted to sleep. There was little I could have done had he actually managed to break down the door except hope that being completely sober and level-headed I would be capable of fending off someone a foot taller and of much heavier build than myself. I like to think that I would have managed, but I have to say that this was the first time in my entire life I have felt that helpless in such a situation.

Normally I can talk someone down from a rage easily, but this person seemed barely able to understand English. Failing that were I at home I would have access to various handy, but non-lethal weapons which are stashed around my room and the house. Okay, so I am a little paranoid, but I have my reasons. Even failing that I would have been able to run away, or call for help.

But in this case there was absolutely nothing that I felt I could actually do, except maybe unlock the door and hope that I was faster than him, and I was not ready to take that chance willingly.

As soon as I get back home I am joining the gym and finding a martial arts class. I want my complete self-confidence back.

4 comments:

AngelConradie said...

ouch... sorry dude, thats rough.
i've never been in that situation myself, might have had a couple of seriously torched people to try and keep an eye on, but i've never had to try and talk someone off of a bad trip.

Nosjunkie said...

mmmmm I am with angel never had to do that thank goodness

phishez said...

Not good. Its harrowing goin through something like that. But at least you weren't presented with the reality of the worst possible situation.

Martial arts classes would be better methinks.

Lopz said...

Hmmm, while I have seen many a trip in my life, I've never come across someone tending towards violence! That must have been very disconcerting. Apparently a heavy dose of adrenaline brings you down off whatever drug you've taken, so perhaps next time, take a syringe and rob a hospital before your party ;-)