30 November 2007

Inconceivable

So maybe this is not the best film in the entire history of cinematography, there may have been better films, but for an all-age film for any member of the family, to watch with a girlfriend, boyfriend, hermaphrofriend, or just friends, this is about as perfect as you can possibly get. As mentioned in the film itself there is sword fighting, giants, duels, true love, adventure, pirates, torture, death, marriage and so on. The dialogue is witty, the action is fantastically executed, the plot is predictably classical as well as being brilliantly comic.

Even with six fingers on my right hand I could not count the number of times I have watched this film with girls who I have been dating, with family members both young and old, from my baby cousins to my grandparents, and I have yet to find anyone who does not at least enjoy it. Whether ill, depressed, happy, lazy or in any other mood this film never fails to make me feel better. At one point I even got to the stage where I could recite the entire film from beginning to end without prompting, which made for some interesting mathematics lessons in college as me and various friends would drop in and out of the dialogue of the film at random moments when we grew bored of advanced calculus and quadratic equations.

Everyone has a handful of films that they enjoy watching again and again, this is the major one for me, but I will also quite happily watch a few others. Princess Bride is my any-mood film, but for violent depression I prefer Dark City, again one I can quite happily watch over and over. For sheer enjoyment of action and gunfights I will take Equilibrium, and for simple philosophising on the merits of humanity's continued existence I can watch Gattaca any time.

So which films do it for you?

3 comments:

AngelConradie said...

i've never seen "princess bride"
my any mood film is "romeo & juliet"
my watch it over and over film is "12 monkeys"

Rae said...

I can see "Pride & Prejudice" over and over a billion times and always be in love with it...

I really don't love "The Princess Bride" I was traumatized by those swamp rats as a kid...they still freak me out.

Also, "Donnie Darko" and "Hackers" are ones that I can watch over and over and never get tired of

Sweets said...

"good will hunting" and "love actually" and of course "gone in 60 seconds"...