12 November 2007

Red Letter Day

I do not write letters, ever. Or at least I do not until today. Today though I received a letter, and replied, and have decided that I quite enjoy writing them. I still have a stack of air mail paper and envelopes left though, currently unused, so I have come up with a plan.


Anyone who gives me their address, by e-mail obviously not just in the reader comments box, will receive in return a letter. If you request something specific you will probably get it, otherwise you may get absolutely anything. Random ramblings, a piece of poetry, a short story, an essay on the supernatural, or anything else in between. If you would like to be able to write back, let me know that as well and I will include a return address for you to write to.

I never really understood the appeal of pen-pals when I was younger, or of writing, but I think I may be beginning to get it.

So remember, send me your address by e-mail and I will send you a letter. Send a request as well and I will do my best to fulfill it in the letter. Your own addresses only though please, I do not want to end up writing to complete strangers.

The only thing I ask in return is that when you get a letter you let me know, whether by e-mail or by putting up a mention of it on your blog is unimportant. I would just like to get reactions from people.

13 comments:

AngelConradie said...

this is so cool!!!
i love the idea!

D-HOR said...

:) I always ALWAYS wanted a Pen Pal SOOO bad in school! Ahhh those lame assholes why didn't they put us in one of those programs??? Sonsofbitches. Hell maybe that's why I like blogging so much, ya know the whole writing and response thing?

Cool. Well good luck with the writing, have fun! :)

The Divine Miss M said...

Either you want a penpal or you're slowly but surely finding out personal details to fraud us with!

No offence Rabbit but I'll stick to email and blogging as you are a complete stranger and I'm not so keen for you to have my address ...

Mr R Rabbit said...

Don't worry M, no offense taken. I figured most people wouldn't be willing.

The Divine Miss M said...

In this day and age it would be really surprising! And the people who probably will are also those who don't shred their bank statements and give their passwords to just about anyone ;)

Me is becoming a little paranoid!

Simply Curious said...

I don't think giving an address out is all that dangerous since he lives halfway across the world. Then again, he could truly be a 500 pound man in Arkansas missing his front teeth. :D

Laura said...

I think it's a nice idea :)

Anonymous said...

I have never liked writing snail mail letters.Probably lost interest in it from all of the damn homework I had to do in school. Sucked!

I was one happy chick when I discovered e-mail!

Valley Girl said...

Can I have a pair of Jimmy Choo's for my 28th b-day? Pretty please?

Mr R Rabbit said...

@ Miss M: I wouldn't be expecting anyone from England to take me up on it, for obvious reasons, but really I'm just rediscovering enjoyment of actually writing a physical letter. Or rather discovering it in the first place. I have all this airmail paper just begging to be filled with words, but I rarely see the point of just writing for myself.

@ Simply: Damn, you've just discovered my secret.

@ Oestre: Thanks. That's mainly what I'm going for.

@ Preposterous: While e-mail is great for communication and getting in touch, there's something pleasant about getting a letter in the post which isn't a bill or junk mail. Plus I'd nearly forgotten how to actually write by hand.

@ Valley: Only if they'll fit in a slim-line airmail envelope of under 20 grammes weight I'm afraid.

Nosjunkie said...

thats a nice Idee
but I must be honest I think my blog is the equvelent of pen pals to me

I also like letters I never get around to sending them though

Sweets said...

good idea rabbit... very original, you're taking things to a whole new level!

Lopz said...

Rabbit, I love you - you are definitely a little touched in the head - in the best possible way of course! :-)

I'll be sticking to our blogs as well, although I can't say a little part of me isn't tempted out of sheer curiosity as to what I what I might get.

To those who go for this, please mention in your blogs... I'm interested to see the outcome.