05 November 2007

Apparently I Am Not Irresistable

I know, I know, this is a hard idea to come to terms with, but it appears to be true.

Actually the title of this entry is a bit of a lie. Not that I am not irresistable, that but is true, but it is a bit off-topic for the rest of the post. For some reason all I could think to write about tonight was confidence, and lack of it or over-abundance of it. See the thing is I actually have both. Simultaneously I can have complete and utter self-confidence, almost offensively so, and act accordingly, and I can be utterly insecure and uncertain about everything.

I suppose the title is somewhat related. It does not shake my faith in myself if someone does not find me attractive, or even likeable. In fact it does not alter my view of myself at all, I know that some people find me attractive and that is enough. Except that it is not, because there is a flip side to the coin. The fact that people find me attractive, and I know that they do, does nothing to boost my confidence because I never seem to be able to persuade myself that it means anything.

I am sure I am not the only one who feels this, and do not believe I am for a second. I am just curious whether anyone thinks this is due to some unshakeable self-doubt inside me, instilled during years of torment in childhood, or whether it is the opposite and I have some sort of permanent internal self-belief, simply from surviving said torment.

And in other news, off to see yet another new member of the cast in a couple of weeks. For now I think Student will do for her, as it is a nicely descriptive name. She is kind of cute, can match me for innuendo quite comfortably, and has no interest in any form of relationship or commitment. At least in theory.

Sweetie is prodding for some sort of commitment, but so far she does not seem to want to go as far as pushing me into it. I appreciate that she is not trying to push me, but it does make me feel a little guilty. I know I am not using her and I have told her that there are others but I almost feel that it would be better for her to find someone else and realise that there are people out there who will have a genuine relationship with her.

4 comments:

Valley Girl said...

K. I'm lost. I have to go back to your archives. Why won't you have a genuine relationship with her?

Btw, now that I've heard you voice, I can hear it when I read your posts! So cute!

Simply Curious said...

This post threw me off a bit, as well. I think it was a little confusing. Either that or I've had too much to drink. Come to think of it, it was probably the latter. Scratch this comment.

AngelConradie said...

rabbit you are so not alone in having immense confidence yet being insecure... i'm the same way!
i'm sorry sweetie is hinting for more... why can't things stay the way they are when they work!!!

Sweets said...

why haven't i read this post before...strange...anyway, this is a very interesting subject, i think all humans suffer from a lack of confidence vs moments of extreme confidence... it's good to stay grounded, we tend to feel secure in certain environments and that triggers certain reactions...