10 November 2007

Domestically Skilled or Unskilled

I can never understand how it can be that someone can reach adulthood without knowing how to use something as simple as a washing machine, or make a baked potato. Yet for some people knowing nothing about how to survive independently seems to be a point of pride as much as anything else. I pity these people, especially these days when women are no longer content to be housewives.

I am very thankful that they are not content to be simple housewives as well, hopefully it will mean that these people can no longer survive for long. They will find themselves alone, slowly dying of malnutrition, rotting in filthy, rag-like clothes.

These are such simple skills, so how can it be that not only is someone incapable of performing them, but actively proud of that fact? I can understand not being able to make a complicated meal for twelve, although that is not particularly difficult. I can understand not knowing how to boil soap or handwash clothes in a stream, though again, not difficult. But not being able to throw a potato in the oven for a while, or fry a steak? Not being able to put some clothes in a machine, throw in some liquid, and press a button?

How do these people live with themselves? Really?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

They don't live with themselves.They find someone who can do all of that shit for them.

I however have known since a very young age how to provide for myself.

Guess this girl has skills!!!!

Laura said...

Last week at work a man in his 30's came and asked me what he needs to clean. Not a specific task, just cleaning in general. He hadn't a clue.

I find it really annoying myself. I've known how to do these basic things from a pretty early age.

Valley Girl said...

I just hang my head in shame and try to get men to take me out to dinner all the time. =)

Bunny said...

As one of those anachronistic housewives (albeit with a J.D. degree), I also don't know how these people survive. Guess that's how laundries, restaurants, cleaning services, and lawn care services make their money. Amazing some people can wipe their own arses these days.

Simply Curious said...

My younger sister doesn't even know how to boil water. Water, I tell you.

AngelConradie said...

its a mystery to me... i blame the parents! mwaaaaaaaaahahahahahaaaa...
with damien, i started teaching him to cook long ago, and he likes being able to do things in the kitchen for himself.
and cleaning? its a simple matter of being expected to do chores!!!

phishez said...

I love cooking. I hate cleaning. But I love a clean house. I love clean sheets (on freshly shaved legs), but I hate washing the bastard things.

But at least I know how to do it.

Barbara_Talbot said...

I remember a friend who at twelve had to get his just post-surgery mother out of bead to make toast.

Un-phased this mother continued to make his bed until he eventually moved out to be defendant on the girl he married. A crush of mine I had spent long hours in her apartment being "the buddy" I never saw more than kraft cheese singles and skim milk in her fridge.

I have no idea how the tow of them eat.

I bought a 12 dollar thrift store pasta extruder and with a PDF manual downloaded was able to make passable pasta the first time.

Why are people so incompetent with malice aforethought...baffling.

Rae said...

You know, I've never seen an inability to be domestically skilled as a development in evolution...but I really like that idea! I won't lie, I'm not exactly fabulous at the baking of the potatoes, but I could make a meal for twelve...it just wouldn't involve baked potaotes. :-)

Great post!

Sweets said...

i was one of those girls: when i got married, my ex showed me how to use the washing machine...when i think back now it's shocking, but hey, i'm a pro now!