08 November 2007

Pet Names and Nicknames

I am sure that everyone has been called by one of these at some point in their life. Whether as a term of endearment such as sweetie, pet, gorgeous, or something similar which now breeches our lovely new view of political correctness, or as something less pleasant or less innocent. I tend to use these for people a lot. Even male friends will occasionally get called 'Sugarpie' or 'Snugglelumps', usually when I am trying to scrounge a drink from them. The most common two which I use though are 'Girly' and 'Boy'.

Of course this does irritate some people, particularly when I start using them on people obviously older than me, but in general I get away with it. Some limited number of the people I know actually have nicknames of their own, which I will usually use.

The kicker is that I personally believe a nickname you have acquired down the years actually says something about you, whether that is pleasant or unpleasant. You have actually earned a true nickname, and it will then stay with you faithfully. Only the closest of my family use my real name when speaking to or of me, anyone else calls me 'Rabbit' or 'Bunny', or variations thereof. That name has been with me for years now, since I was at University, and while it may be overly-feminized or just plain silly, it is my nickname and I am rather attached to it.

The theorised reasons for my nickname are many, and varied, but you can now hear the true story. At University I shared a house with various people of the female persuasion. Comments were made likening me in various ways to members of the lapine species. Eventually the comments stopped being made, and simply the name remained. Of course, one evening while the group of us were watching a film the conversation ended up turning to sex toys. During this conversation the Ann Summers Rampant Rabbit was mentioned, and things moved from there.

So what are your nicknames, and how did you get them? If you do not have one what would you like it to be and why?

Only a few weeks now until my trip into the land of debauchery and sin, which I am rather looking forward to. Slave has apparently been cleaning for the last few days, or at least trying to clean. Hopefully she will be meeting me at the airport, and with a little luck I can restrain myself until the risk of being hauled in by security guards is gone.

Also looking forward to meeting up with, or rather staying with, Student in a couple of weeks. Just for a night before I go camping, but with any luck she will be joining me on the weekend as well.

17 comments:

Sweets said...

i don't have a pet name... a guy i knew used to call me baby girl... fork i loved that...!!!

Laura said...

I get called "The Girl"...which I suppose is rather apt since I am a girl. I'm not entirely sure how it came about....One of my best friends, we call him "The Boy". I think the two are definitely related.

Unknown said...

I've had various nicknames through my life. Glugster is actually one of them. It refers to my drinking habits during my varsity days.

Others include Oros and Bullet.

Lopz said...

Mine are decidedly more boring, as they are just shortened or altered versions of my real name, which being what it is, is quite variable. The only other nickname I ever had was Shorty, as my height now is 5 foot 4, but it took me an inordinately long time to get there.

Sweets said...

glugster i knew it!...glug glug glug... oros? that's horrible, it's like being called the michelin man!

rabbit why don't you leave any comments in your comments box...??

SheBee said...

I've been SheenaBee since my school days. No exciting story really, I just had an infatuation with cartoon and fluffy bees growing up...

The Divine Miss M said...

Mine are all just variations on my real name - one of which has stuck for many years and I do quite like it.

I'm not a large fan of nicknames unless I was around when they were created and can understand why someone is being called it.

Personally I like calling people by their real names. Unless we are really close and have a lot of history. I hate that whole "babe" thing and take violent offence to it.

Lopz said...

In other words, if I come climbing with you and call you babe, you might just kick me off that wall? Point taken!

Szarek(Will) said...

Well i have 2 but both are bad in a sence

Hair bear-Take a guess why
and
E.R.-'cause every year I would get a seriuos injury from rugby

Grade8:broken collarbone
Grade9:Severe concussion
Grade10:Anckle Broken
Grade11:Dislocated wrist
Grade12:Torn knee ligament

Nosjunkie said...

I have three regular names that have actually become personalities

theres Lee: this is the social me... full of shit who likes a beer and a braai

Theres Lee-Ann: this is the business woman shes a Bitch... doesnt make friends at work and strives to be the best and the most perfect.

and then Leanne (spelled with and accent on the a that I cant type) thats my moms little girl my dad's prinses and my sisters boyfriend controll

The Divine Miss M said...

@lopz - Now you're getting it ;)

AngelConradie said...

hhmmm... i've had boyfriends call me "sweetie" and "babe", but i've always just been "angel".

Mr R Rabbit said...

@ sweetass: I do leave comments occasionally, usually when I want to reply to something.

@ Miss M: Now that I know that I'm going to struggle not to call you various patronising, sexist names.

FreeOscar said...

My pet name for my husband is CockMaster.

The Divine Miss M said...

@rabbit - luckily it won't be face to face ;)

@c.rag - thanks for that ....

Elise said...

I think I've been through many "cute" nicknames like Kitten and Angel which are quite sweet at the time but when you break up with the guy who calls you those names you start to shudder...

I broke my leg once in school and I was called Limpy for a few weeks

Simply Curious said...

Over the years, only two have stuck. I'm also called 'The girl' and then there's Bubbles. Bubbles has always annoyed me, but most of my family and friends call me it anyway. I wonder if I had anything to do with the topic of this post..