10 November 2007

Misplaced in Time

I have a theory that people can be misplaced at birth. Obviously I am not speaking literally here, it is technically possible for babies to be put in the wrong place at a hospital, or left behind, or children to go missing but that is not what I am talking about. Some people have a natural empathy with certain cultures or traditions. Some people feel a resonance with a certain country. And most importantly, and relevant to this post, is that some people have a feeling that they should be in a certain time.

I feel that I should have been born in a time, and a way, where life was slower and riskier. Where when someone insulted me or annoyed me I could challenge them to a duel and have the whole matter resolved in a few minutes of swordplay, or a simple pistol shot. I should be in a time where I would be considered a scoundrel or a cad rather than a playboy or a slut. I should be around when it would not be considered odd for me to wear a frilled shirt, and to use formal language for the simplest of matters.

And I should be in a time where having a case of ivory appointment cards to hand to a butler would be considered normal. Where civility and politeness could be infinitely more cutting and insulting than a simple 'fuck you'.

Unfortunately I cannot even find such cards, despite my best attempts, and the style of dress I would like to adopt is far beyond my price range.


So what do I do instead? Well I practice a hobby called live-action roleplay, where I can play pretend with up to thousands of other adults who all play alongside. Several weekends a year. It is expensive, but its my holiday from reality and so is worth it. It also has been the thing that drives me to learn how to sword-fight, staff-fight, learn archery, how to throw knives, how to use a shield, an axe, a hammer, and just about any other weapon you could name.

Fun though.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too feel as if I am misplaced in time.

I think I would fit in much better many centuries back... Living an erotic life with many lovers and secrets. ;o)

fu said...

I would love to go back in time to check things out, but as a student of History, it seems like any other time would most likely be pretty miserable. Say Victorian england, unless you were rich, life was hellish, London in the 1850's, open sewage pouring into the Thames, slaving away in factories, cholera outbreaks, just plain scary. I'll take living in the here and now.

AngelConradie said...

this was so cool!
lrp sounds like a lot of fun, and an ideal holiday to get away from "reality".
and i could so see you as a scoundrel, scathing remarks and duelling and all...

Laura said...

I feel like that sometimes. I often feel I would have been better suited to living in the late 60's/ early 70's

Sweets said...

i agree, the risk of those times certainly has a very appealing lure...

Rae said...

I'm definitely misplaced by country (I should definitely be in Scotland), but I don't think I'm misplaced in time...although I do have a rather strange attraction to Regency period. I hate wearing dresses usually, so I don't know why this is...probably all the romance novels I read. :-)